Re: Gum hardening -- top down?

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 04/06/06-09:50:46 AM Z

Katharine,

I hope you wont think I'm persecuting you but from what you just wrote below
one or at least I would be inclined to think you have doubt for both
theories which is very reasonable considering we have no definite proof of
either.

I would just add which will possibly just add to the confusion that any
attempt to prove or disprove any of these theories one would have to
consider all other variables in play especially the pigment(s) color, the
amount of pigment, the thickness of the coating, exposure, etc. But it seems
obvious to me that when considering all these vars in the end if you
underexpose your gum "recipe" using a step tablet such that only the first 2
steps stick on the paper you should see all the other steps float away
during development (right). I assume if you can capture them as intack as
possible it should be possible to observe that some step would be thinner
then the next higher expose step up to the point that harden emulsion is so
thinly crosslinked (most probably from top to bottom) that the tiniest of
turbulence in your tray will distroy these links into so tiny flakes that it
would be impossible to discern them from disolve gum-pigment. Probably
everyone as underexpose gum at one time or another so it should be easy to
realise such an experiment with a relatively thick emulsion at least tick
enough that to expose it all the way to the paper and that suffient
hardening as happen in other step to hold them together in some layer or
large flake if you prefer. If this happen as I expect it would, you should
have your proof. One or two step stay on the paper, a few other steps would
not stick to the paper but would be well anchored with the first one or two
and then you should see that the least exposed step simply disolve totally
and gradually larger and larger pieces stay link with the previous more
exposed steps.

If any crosslinking happens at the paper surface elsewhere then in the first
couple of step the emultion should stick in those areas but I would
disregard them in the case of using a step tablet because of the unusually
long scale and that real negative will rarely if ever have such a long
scale. (Considering possible inversion here)

Regards
Yves