Re: Need Advice on Thick Gum Coating

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@CLEMSON.EDU>
Date: 04/06/06-10:03:24 AM Z

>On Apr 6, 2006, at 6:31 AM, Marek Matusz wrote:
>
>>Sandy,
>>Try a foam roller for smoothing your gum. it works for a lot of
>>people on this list, including myself.
>
>Marek, how do you keep from getting a pebbly texture in the gum? Am
>I just not using a light enough touch, or what?
>
>>I like your idea of exposing the print from the back. Glass would
>>be good testing surface. Maybe if the gum is exposed through the
>>glass it will not wash off.
>
>I think this may be a good test of the idea, and I hope you'll
>report your results. I'll try it too when I get back. But one thing
>that gives me pause about exposing an image on glass from the back,
>is that you're going to have the thickness of the glass between the
>negative and the emulsion. It might be an interesting effect, but
>won't be the same as having the negative in contact with the
>emulsion.
>
>Katharine

Katharine,

You are right. What Marek suggest would provide a good method to test
the concept of top down hardening, but the thickness of the glass
will seriously degrade sharpness.

I would suggest instead of glass overhead transparency material,
coating the sticky side with the gum emulsion and then exposing from
the rear. It might be difficult to get a smooth coating on this
material, but I would imagine that could be worked out. The OHP
material from Freesstyle would be better than Pictorico for this
because it passes a much higher percentage of UV light, and is very
thin.

Sandy