REPOST: Alternative gum preservatives: tea tree, eucalyptus oils

From: Arcus, Paul ^lt;Paul.Arcus@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Date: 04/06/06-05:37:17 PM Z

Hi,
Can anyone advise if either eucalyptus or tea tree oils are suitable for
preserving gum?
Has anyone tried naturally occurring oils such as these?

They both have antiseptic & antibacterial properties.
As natural organic sources are available they suit my ethical concerns.

I intend to try dissolving them with alcohol and adding to prepared gum
(as per Sam Wang's use of thymol).
Note that I am unable to source Thymol or formalin and I don't want to
use bought gum.

Thanks,
PAUL ARCUS