Re: untitled

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/07/06-08:44:09 PM Z

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:41:29 +0100, "Peter Marshall"

> So for files I'd suggest coming up with a good system for unique IDs
> that helps you to find files rather than making up names.

One of the juried competition I entered required to put ALL information,
including name, phone, etc. in the file name. The length clearly
exceeded the limit of ISO-9660 format with Rockledge and/or Joliet, and
I wonder how they ever handled this issue...

So while I was talking with someone about this issue, there were a few
points that came to my mind:

- "Untitled" is considered cool.

- People just take whatever they see, select some and print, with not
  much active interaction with the image or the story behind it, so
  they have less desire or reason to title the work, when compared to
  painters.

- People don't go to vote anyway, so they don't care about losing their
  right to titling the work

- Untitled is probably the least offensive title, whereas titles like
  "Bush (a verb of your choice)" would increase the likelihood of
  having the work rejected.

Incidentally, I photographed graffiti's and political stickers from
street in Boston and Cambridge in 2004, and I'm very looking forward
to another street graffiti series in 2008. The problem is that most
creative graffitis get erased/painted over very quickly, and innocuous
ones stay for years, so I will have to walk around pretty much every
day. I'll have to implement web-based tagger's watch program.