Re: Learning, loooong post

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/08/06-01:14:31 PM Z

Chris

Just as I said to Sandy, our approaches seem much the same.

Technique is important but it is not all.

Beauty is important.

I was accused in an article once of learning from my students. My reply was
that it is a fool who does not.

As to being 'patronising', the 'motherly stance' can have that effect.

As to my web site, it is clearly set out so that the page on gum printing is
easy to find. Others seem to find it helpful as I get many thousands of 'hits'
a week with a lot of downloads. I have been giving away all this information
for many many years. Recently, I found a new things which involved a lot of
time and expense. Is it so wrong for me to want to recover the cost ?

I have not been the only one here to suggest that Mike Ware's hypothesis was
open to question. I have known Mike for a long time; he does tend to
overcomplicate things. And as I said recently,the academic support that he will bring
to support his comments can sometimes be proved wrong by a simple test.

Is it wrong to suggest a reason when someone asks for comment on a
phenomenon? As a further example you comment on the observation that dichromate runs out
of the print quickly when it is first put in the water. This is a simple
technical issue.. The dichromate is soluble and the gum is porous. so that when
the light has done its job, the dichromate runs away in the water leaving
behind the gum which has been rendered insoluble.

You say:

I think the Pictorial style is not only valid but alive and well, in our
increasing need
for a return to beauty in this world,,,,,

This is what I have been preaching for many years..

I wish you all success with your gum printing and with your students. Your
approach to teaching appears very similar to my own.

Terry