RE: potassium vs. ammonium citrate pd developer

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 04/09/06-07:03:50 PM Z

Chris and all,

One way to cut your ink cost by about half is to purchase 220 ml carts sold
for the Epson 4800 and transfer the ink into 3rd party sponge less
refillable carts or use a 3rd part CIS ink system with the ink drained from
the 4800 carts.

Roughly, this reduces the cost of ink from an estimated price of 0.93 per
ml. to about 0.51 per ml.

The downside is that the initial cost of purchasing 8 220 ml carts is almost
$900.

Unfortunately, the Epson 2400 has a voracious appetite for ink. For example,
each time you replace an empty cart (which still has an estimated 2+ ml of
ink remaining -- it may be even possible to siphon the dregs and save it for
refilling 3rd party carts) all of the carts receive a purging cycle to allow
the fresh ink cart to prime its respective print head.

One technique to save a little ink is to print negatives or prints in
batches, printing as many images as possible per batch. Each time the
printer is turned on, a large amount of ink is wasted needlessly.

One of the nice things about using a 1280 printer is that are some really
inexpensive inks available for making inkjet negs. These inks are available
in bulk or cart.

As for the B&W prints from the new K3 inks and new generation ink jet paper,
will they are astounding to say the least but also expensive, possibly more
expensive than palladium prints.

BTW, for an emergency developer for plt/pld prints Dick Sullivan recommends
7-Up.

Don Bryant