Re: Tearing paper (with diagram)

From: Michael Koch-Schulte ^lt;mkochsch@shaw.ca>
Date: 04/09/06-10:38:02 PM Z

John,

Try this:
http://www.mondotrasho.ca/pages/alt-photo/papers/folds2.jpg
yields an assortment or sizes with no waste. This is for 22X30. (Make double for 30X44.)

or,
  If I'm doing "straight" 8X10s I tear by first marking with a pencil every 10" along the 30" side and likewise 8" along the 22" side. I fold on the pencil marks one way, then the other, then back again making sure the cease is sufficiently weakening. Then I do a "peak" tear on a big table. I'm left with a 6" long strip that I can use for test strips, and six 8X10s. If I'm doing a print with "brush strokes" then I just fold in half both ways (quarter-fold) tearing with the same technique above leaving me with four 11X15s which I trim to 11X14. I've never understood why 22"X30" is the most common size. Maybe someone more familiar with water colour paper could chime in on the history of this measure. If you hold a paper up at an angle to a strong light you might be able to tell on side from the other, sometimes there will be "screen" patterns from the mill on the down side. With Platine you should also be able to read the watermark if you hold it up to a light, now kiss the paper, this is the up side. With some papers you can also change sides depending on the look you want, rougher or smoother.

~m