My old uncle Tom in Camberwell popped of recent which it ain't a sell. (Any Old iron)

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/09/06-07:32:14 AM Z

Leaving me his little Donkey Shay,

John

If you are gong to quote Harry Champion you should know the Max Miller who
got banned from BBC radio in the forties for his song which began When violets
are blue..'

I do not know what Steinbock's first name was or when the lectures were.. I
would be more helpful if you could let me have some idea of your agenda.

Hyperreality is word which I can apply to anything I want. If you go back to
the 1850s and have a look at gum prints by Pouncey, you will see what I mean
by hyperreality. There was one in the RPS collection at Bradford and there
are photo-mechanically reproduced versions of them in the library in Dorchester
(Dorset not Oxfordshire).

Many of us do gum printing now but there were very few when this all happened
in the early seventies (in the UK). I have been teaching gum now for four
generations or more. I learned subsequently that Pete had written his book 'Sun
Printing' but then Pete told he that he had worked on the development of his
whole egg process as he had not been able to emulate the gum prints that had got
me my FRPS.

On that performance Steinbock would have made a rotten teacher if the idea of
teaching is to communicate ideas rather maintain commercial secrets a la
Fresson. One of things that comes across in the literature over the years is
that some 'teachers' hide behind obscurities to hide their ignorance.

No-one owns gum printing, what was bizarre was that Steinbock thought that it
was his. i acknowledged, in front of that audience that it was seeing his
prints that got me started but then I saw Demachy and Puyo prints and Steichens
and the work of the Photo-Secession and the Linked Ring and it was these that
provided the inspiration. Steinbock was a man who gave a lecture. I only met
him twice, once when he gave a lecture and once when i did. There had been a
number of articles in various magazines about my gum printing (nether by me nor
promoted by me); there was nothing specific about that lecture.

Terry