Re: Hyper reality and gum prints.

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/10/06-06:25:19 AM Z

John

There arewords or part words called prefixes, a word you put in front of
another word to change its meanig. Some examples are :

'pre' from the Latin 'prae' meaning'before', so we can refer to 'preflight
checks' without which our aeroplane might fall out of the sky;

'super' 'great or extreme in size or degree', it comes from the Latin
'super' meaning above, so we have 'Superman;

'sub' from the Latin, 'under or below' giving us submarine, under the sea;

'hypo' from the Greek also meaning'under or below', this gives us
'hypothermia' which puts together the two Greek w'ords hypo' and 'thermos' which
means 'heat', to give is 'hypothermia' which people die from if they get too
cold;

'hyper is a bit like 'super' but it comes from Greek not Latin, it means
'above', it can have the meaning of 'excessive' as well

Now if you or me want to take a word to mean more than just its ordinary
meaning, let's take 'reality' as an example, we can put 'hyper' in front of it
to intensify its meaning. thus getting hyper-reality.

Now we are all allowed to do this in English and other languages like
Turkish. In France you would have to get permission from an 'academy' But if you went
to the chippy and aked for some hyperacetic acid to put on your chips, they
would probably suggest that you put your chips somewhere uncomfortable.

Why the convention was changed for fixer to be called sodium thiosulphite'
rather than sodium hyposulphite involves too much specailised chemical language
for the layman to grasp without running for a chemical dictionary. But really
this 'prefix' stuff is easy.

Terry