Re: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/11/06-09:26:50 AM Z

Marek may like to reconsider this opinion.

If Katherine's scans show that the gum hardens top down, this hardly adds to
our knowledge.

Sandy has already told us that there are more variables than three.

If you expose from the front and the top and everythng falls of there are a
number of possible reasons,why as Judy pointed out. The two most likely are
that the pigment is too thick so that the light has not reached the bottom, thus
'proving' what we already know , or that the exposure was not long enough
which demobstrates the same thing.

Just try both with less pigment, you only need a lot of pigment if you only
wish to leave the shadows to show. which is when you need a short exposure not
a long one and you want most of the exposure to fall off..

But my own advice would be that the exercise is a waste of time.ubless one
wishes to learn how to make a gum print. But then making gum prints is a better
way of learning.

Terry

Exposing from the back hardens that part of the coating closest to the
substrate so it does not fall off. Again demonstrating what we already know. But if
your exposure is not long enough, the coating is not hard enough and it will
off, or as Marek puts it, continue to develop.