Re: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 04/11/06-09:21:30 AM Z

Marek, thanks for your response. My patience for this discussion was
coming to an end just as your post popped into my mailbox; you have
revived me. A couple of comments embedded below:

On Apr 11, 2006, at 7:41 AM, Marek Matusz wrote:

> Katharine,
> I was very impressed with your results and thanks for contributing
> to this discussion in a positive and constructive way. Looking at
> your scans I would conclude that heavily pigmented gum layers on
> unabsorbant substrate do harden from the top down, just like other
> dichromated colloids.
> I see very nice tonal gradations in the print exposed from the
> bottom. The three variables (gum, dichromate and pigment ratios)
> are not optimised, but at this point I am looking for illustration
> of principles, rather then perfect prints.

Thanks, I agree.

> I did a similar experiment last night. I coated a heavily pigmented
> and thick layer of gum on a transparency material that I use to
> print diginegatives (HP brand). This brand has a nice sandy feel to
> it, so I though it would help to hold the gum. I exposed coated
> pieces for twice my usual times, one through top, the other from
> the bottom.

For whatever it's worth, I exposed the front-exposed print on mylar
for 6 minutes, which is 4X my usual time for that negative, and the
back-exposed print for twice the time of the front-exposed one (12
minutes).

> The piece exposed from the top flaked off rather quickly leaving no
> image. The was no image that I could see at any point. The piece
> exposed thorough the bottom once in the water started behaving like
> a carbon print, where the colloid was dissolving in water, rather
> then flaking off. After about 3 minutes I was excited to see a full
> tonality image, with beautiful tonal gradations. Unfortunately the
> image continued to develop even afet I took it out of water and
> hanged it to dry.

This is exactly what happened with the front-exposed print in my
experiment; it looked okay, although very high-contrast, when I took
it out of the water, but by the time it was dry the hardened gum had
melted and puddled on the mylar. (This is not what usually happens
when I print on scuffed mylar using a more normal emulsion).

> This morning there was only a faint image left on the piece of
> transparency. I will give it another try with much longer exposure
> and perhaps lower dichromate to get more depth of UV penetration
> and hardening and higher Dmax.

I look forward to your report,
Katharine