RE: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: Dave Soemarko ^lt;fotodave@dsoemarko.us>
Date: 04/11/06-09:51:50 AM Z

Hi Katharine, Marek, Sandy, Judy, and whoever interested,

Thanks for your efforts and sharings on your findings.

About the tests, however, I have a few suggestions:

Katharine, you probably shouldn't expose longer than usual and expose the
front and back differently because that will affect interpretation. Let's
try to step back and look at our hypothesis first. Let's say we assume that
hardening is from top to bottom (we don't have to agree on this, but we can
take any view and start from there). The test then, is to expose it not too
much from both side. If hardening is from top to bottom, the one exposed
from the front will not reached the base, so it has nothing to hold on, so
it will flake off, whereas the one exposed from the back will grab the base,
so it will have some image. But if expose a lot (or strongly), then probably
both will have an image because even the one exposed from the front will be
exposed sufficiently to reach the base. Now the contrast of the two might be
different, and so we might start to make different inference from there, but
that is not the original goal of the test.

Suppose that we expose it normally, and get a fine image for the one exposed
from the back but not for the one exposed from the front, we pretty much
proved our hypothesis. But suppose we don't get an image from either one,
then we need to adjust. It might be that the mylar might be cutting off a
lot of UV, so we need to expose more. But if we expose more, is it a fair
comparison because the front one doesn't have the UV blocking by the mylar?
So in order to have a reasonable test, we need to increase expose but also
cover the front side by a piece of mylar during exposure.

Our tests seem to be something in between. The fact that the image continue
to dissolve after development seems to suggest that exposure is not enough
so there is still a lot of unhardened gum (Sandy, to answer the question of
why this is happening in gum but not in carbon, the difference in mechanism
is that gelatine doesn't dissolve in cold water whereas gum does).

My suggestion would be to expose perhaps a step tablet with double the
amount of time used for exposing through the back, but when exposing the
front, cover it with a piece of mylar.

And thank you again for all your efforts. I am by no means asking you to do
a certain test. It is simply a suggestion from me, a lurker now. :-)

Dave