Re: Gum hardening: top down experiment

From: Katharine Thayer ^lt;kthayer@pacifier.com>
Date: 04/12/06-05:15:24 PM Z

On Apr 12, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Judy Seigel wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006, Sandy King wrote:
>

>> For the sake of this discussion I am going to assume that you will
>> print on some type of OHP material or other plastic that will hold
>> the gum. What you do with the print after that, whether leave it
>> on the plastic or transfer to a paper base, is a discussion for
>> another day.

I didn't see the full post that this is excerpted from, but I have to
say that this last sentence made me stop chewing a cracker, mid-
chew. I've done a fair amount of gum printing on glass and on
plastic, and if you think that you can print an image on plastic and
then transfer it somewhere else, then either you don't know anything
about gum, or I don't know anything about gum, and I think the latter
possibility is most unlikely.

My experience is that when gum is printed on either glass or plastic
(once it's safely shepherded through development and dried) it's very
very difficult to remove from the surface. I use a fresh razor blade,
applied with muscle behind it; it generally takes three razor blades
to remove an 8x10 image. It doesn't come off intact but in shards and
small sheets the width of the razor blade, and I'm out of breath when
I'm done. So, here's a challenge for Sandy: please, do, make a gum
print on plastic and then transfer it to a paper surface; I'd like to
see that.

Judy said:
>folks, if I could spell lotke confidently I'd tell you more)

Isn't it "latke"?
kt