Re: Gum hardening: top down experiment ( pointlessness)

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/13/06-09:17:53 AM Z

Sandy

People come to this list hoping for information and intelligent debate.
When they find long drawn out accounts related to pointless tests, they leave. Do
you consider that to be acceptable ?

As a leading light in this community for some years you, Sandy, have a
responsibility to offer guidance suggesting that these pointless debates do not
happen just as much as you take your responsibilities seriously in offering
advice as to how to do things.. Saying, as you do, "if you think the tests are a
waste of time, stay away from them" just reduces the standard of debate and
the usefulness of the list. That is irresponsible. It is a surprising attitude
for a teacher.

I am not the only one here who has pointed out that many of these tests are
'worthless', 'pointless.', 'serve no useful purpose'. The people who make
these comments are not arrogant, not only do they not want their time wasted,
they are concerned that those new to alternative processes may be tempted to
take this stuff seriously.. Many people just leave finding the list a waste of
their time. Is that what you want ? What is perhaps worse, is that many who
could make a really worthwhile contribution just lurk as the standard of debate
is often so low.. Is that what you want ?

Thank the Lord that there is no academie de gomme. The difficulty here is
that the list is pontificated to, your words, by those with no understanding of
how gum behaves, again your words..

Terry

To paraphrase Gertrude Stein, a gum is a gum is a gum whether it comes out of
a factory or a tree.