Re: Pointless discussion?

From: Yves Gauvreau ^lt;gauvreau-yves@sympatico.ca>
Date: 04/14/06-03:56:20 AM Z

Hi,

yes and no Mark, from what Katherine said before Pictorico transparencies may not be very well suited for printing gum to begin with. My question was more about the archival property of the material or plastic used and I was thinking more about transparent one that could be used for gum prints. I think Ryuji made the point that there are some type of plastic transparencies that could last a very long time. Now the question would be can we find a material that is colorless (no color cast), transparent (back exposure), thin (minimal loss of sharpness), mecanically resistant (scratches), archival (centuries) and that gum would adhere well on it?

If I read Marek's experiment correctly, the one Katherine graciously posted on her web site, this print is a one coat gum print exposed from the back. This sound very interesting and seemed to have a lot of potential as Katherine pointed out. My concern then was the material used archival to the same degree, more or less then gum prints on paper. There are so many kinds of plastic I just wondered if they would last and from limited experience with them I was affraid they wouldn't be.

I suspect it wont be long before someone finds a good combinaison of materials and better still someone will probably make a gum print this way with lots of relief, just like it's possible to do with carbon prints.

Regards
Yves