Re: Could someone summarize that gum up or down discussion?

From: Marek Matusz ^lt;marekmatusz@hotmail.com>
Date: 04/14/06-09:46:58 AM Z

Chris,

I am not saying you can not print continuous tone prints in gum, single
exposue. As a matter of fact I have been doing this for a few years.

http://www.alternativephotography.com/artists/marek_matusz/mm_yosemite_meadow.html

Here is one of my earlier works. But, when I really want my gum print to
sing, just like a great painting, I use multiple layers to deepen the
shadows, add highlight definition, etc. I will continue to use multilayer
printing, bacuse of all advantages it offers, adjusting warm and cool colors
in monochrome, etc. You of all the people know the drill.
However put one of your monochrome gums next to a carbon print and tell me
that something is not missing from the gum. The most delicate tonal
transitions, the infinite gradation of tone are not there in the gum.
I want to have that tool in my gum tool box, would't you?

Your historica references are well taken and worth some further discussion
on this list. I am sure we are only rediscovering work that has been lost,
repeating experiments that have bee done. But we understand gum much better
(and plase I do not want anybody to jump on the word "understand"),
especially the negative requirements.
It is all very exciting.
Marek, Hoston