Regarding Robert Demachy et al.

From: John Grocott ^lt;john.grocott403@ntlworld.com>
Date: 04/15/06-04:31:10 AM Z

Peter Marshall writes:-
''........................... the actual prints by
Pouncy and Demachy. Fine though they are, I can't imagine that anyone could confuse them with a silver print or carbon. They have their own very different qualities; certainly they were "SO good" but also SO different. What indeed would be the point of alternative processes if that were not so? The pictorialists certainly didn't want to make
prints that looked like silver prints, but to clearly differentiate their art from the commercial work of the day.''
Just so. And what a great stride forward was made in getting rid of the ''barriers'', in the eyes of the essential patronage, between different forms of image making and accentuating the essentially individual qualities of artists whatever process they choose to use in their work.
                Peter, have you come accross the East London Printmakers group? Google will give web sites etc., We are currently negotiating to become involved in the promotion and development of this modern group by introducing processes like Oil Printing and Oil Transfer, Gum printing and Direct Carbon. I am sure you already know that Photo Oil Transfer Printing using traditional etching presses was also discovered by Robert Demachy and several others towards the later part of his rise to fame around the turn of the century. These were, and still are, very interesting times for art and image making.
            Regards to all. John Grocott etc., etc.,