top-down, bottom up and all together (was Re: Could someone summarize that gum up or down discussion?)

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 04/15/06-01:50:27 PM Z

So here's the result from absorption model analysis.

1. If the UV-density is mostly built by the binder and pigment, "all
   together" hardening would require dichromate concentration profile
   to be in the form of c exp (x/r) where x is depth and c and r
   constants. Bottom up hardening would require steeper increase of
   dichromate concentration as x increases. This is highly unlikely to
   happen in reality.

2. If the UV-density is mostly built by dichromate (i.e. the binder
   and pigment are UV-transparent), then "all together" hardening
   would require dichromate concentration profile to be in the form of
   c / (a - x) and the material cannot be thicker than the constant a,
   which can be quite large if the UV irradiation is strong. Bottom up
   hardening would require dichromate concentration profile that is
   steeper than this. This may be potentially possible in reality,
   given that the UV exposure is sufficiently strong and the coating
   is sufficiently thin.

Here, "all together" condition is such that the amount of UV absorbed
by dichromate is constant regardless of the depth x. The solutions for
this condition can be readily obtained from simple differential
equations (freshman calculus level). In condition 1, dichromate has to
be more concentrated as the depth x increases because the amount of
available UV exponentially decreases as x increases due to the UV
absorption by material other than dichromate. In condition 2, the
dichromate has to be more concentrated as the depth x increases
because the available UV is decreased as x increases, because some of
the UV is already absorbed by dichromate between surface (x=0) and the
point in question.

Of course, the condition 1 is the most favorable condition for
top-down, and condition 2 is the most favorable condition for
bottom-up. In condition 1, bottom-up is very unlikely. In condition 2,
bottom-up may be possible if:

* binder and pigment are relatively UV-transparent, compared to the UV
  density of dichromate
* the coated layer is sufficiently thin

The UV density of dichromate decreases with exposure time, since 370nm
absorption is due to Cr(VI) and some of this Cr(VI) is reduced to
lower oxidation states. This is practically relevant in condition 2,
but not in condition 1.

Therefore, two measurements of UV densities, one for gum+pigment only,
and another for gum+pigment+dichromate, can determine whether the
actual dichromate coating is close to the condition 1 or 2, and from
there, we get much better insight as to whether gum printing can be
bottom-up due to possible dichromate concentration gradient questioned
by Mike Ware.