Re: Could someone summarize that gum up or down discussion?

From: Sandy King ^lt;sanking@clemson.edu>
Date: 04/15/06-03:25:23 PM Z

Peter,

I want to congratulate you for this excellent discussion on the
different qualities of processes. Sometimes in our discussions it
gets lost that all of use have different goals and that some
processes work better than others to those ends.

No process is superior to another per se, but when a person's goals
are very well defined some processes serve better than others to
reach those goals. If the goal is very high Dmax, a long tonal scale,
and a very straight line curve, carbon is a good choice. And if you
add to that relief and the ability to make prints in any color or
shade you like, then carbon is really the one. But carbon is one of
the most complex and time consuming processes to work, especially
when you have to make your own tissue, and those factors limit its
use.

On the other hand, if one values hand controls on the print for their
expressive qualities then processes like gum, direct carbon (Fresson)
and bromoil offer much more to the artist.

The thing that interested me about exposing gum from the rear was the
prospect of being able to make images with high Dmax and a long tonal
scale, with just one printing, but with the greater convenience of
coating as in gum. If that could be done, as some of our
experimentations suggest, it would open the doors to an entirely new
medium. But, and here is the caveat, for me this would only be of
real interest if we can find a way to transfer the hardened gum image
from the plastic to paper. Can that be done? I don't know. Perhaps
Ryuji can offer some thoughts on if/how this might be done.

Sandy