Re: Back-exposing on plastic

From: etienne garbaux ^lt;photographeur@nerdshack.com>
Date: 04/17/06-09:44:12 PM Z

Katharine wrote:

> But I don't understand where this transfer business is going, all of
> a sudden, because I thought that Marek had demonstrated that you can
> get a better tonal scale with gum by exposing from the back

I don't think it's anything terribly obtuse, just that many folks would
like a gum print on paper with a full (and continuous) tonal scale (as can
apparently be gotten by exposing through the substrate), and not everyone
(apparently) has given up on persuading an exposed and developed gum layer
to release from its plastic substrate. I'm not sure I see any advantage to
gum transfer over gelatin transfer (i.e., carbon transfer), but I'm
prepared to be amazed when someone does something with it that can't be
done with carbon.

Best regards,

etienne