Digital negative novice needs help.

From: Matthew Baily ^lt;info@creativefauna.com>
Date: 04/19/06-05:17:38 PM Z

Hello All,

This is my first posting to the list. I have read your discussions with
interest for quite a while and thought you might be able to sort me
out. I am looking for some advice on the process of creating digital
negatives. I have been shooting and making contact prints from 5x7
negatives for a good few years and finally have the resources and
incentive to make a few changes to my working methods. I have been
thinking for a while about going up in format, but I recently began to
investigate the possibilities and advantages of making digital
negatives from my 5x7 originals. I have a serious lack of knowledge in
this department so could do with some (alot of) help.

Here are my questions:

Would it be reasonable to think that I could get good enough scans from
my 5x7s on a good flatbed to make up to 12x17 negs, or do you really
need imacon/drum scans?

What level of resolution and apparent sharpness can be achieved from
out putting on a high end epson ink-jet? Do the negs stand up well when
compared to analog enlarged negs in this respect?

Any advice and description of people's process and equipment set-up
would be greatly appreciated. I would be interested to how and what
people are doing in this field.

Thanks

Matt