RE: Digital negative novice needs help.

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 04/20/06-08:00:45 AM Z

My understanding is that:

To get full 256 tones when using

a 3600dpi imagesetter (for instance),

the screen resolution should be 3600 / 16 = 225lpi (remember, 16x16 =
256),

and the computer image file should be at least 225 x 2 = 450 dpi
(actually x 2.5 is better, this is explained in a the sampling theorem
by someone named Nyquist) to get the best quality / detail.

If you were using a ... lets say 360 dpi screen, then the maximum
possible tones would be 3600 / 360 = 10 -> 10 x 10 (square) = 100
only...

Regards,
Loris.