RE: Digital negative novice needs help.

From: BOB KISS ^lt;bobkiss@caribsurf.com>
Date: 04/20/06-06:42:07 AM Z

DEAR LIST,
Am I right that the # of lppm also influences the possible number of values
(tones) that a medium can reproduce as well as the resolution? Yes, I know
that digital printing varies the dot size to produce various tones but, it
is a basic principle of info theory that the possible number of tones that
can be produced is proportional to the number of pixels per unit area in the
final image. This was similar in film technology; not only did fine grain
film (or larger format film for the same final print size) allow the
reproduction of finer detail but also the reproduction of more possible
tones.
Sooooooooo, am I right that BOTH lppm AND possible dot sizes at that line
frequency influence the possible number of tones that can be reproduced with
that medium regardless of whether or not one can resolve each pixel
visually?
                CHEERS!
                        BOB

 Please check my website: http://www.bobkiss.com/