RE: Digital negative novice needs help.

From: Gregory Popovitch ^lt;greg@gpy.com>
Date: 04/21/06-07:21:15 PM Z

Richard - Ctein's writings may not be scientific papers but they seem
generally rigorous to me, well above the average darkroom book. He
may have sometimes reached erroneous conclusions, but even in those
instances his reasoning was good reading.

Also, there are some facts. Ektaflex prints known to resolve 20 lp/mm
are visibly less sharp to the eye that other types of RA4 paper prints
resolving 65 lp/mm. How do you explain this if 10 lp/mm is the resolution
limit of the eye?

I think that your statement "increased resolution does
not necessarily mean the edge contrast is greater", while correct,
is misleading. I doubt that in practice you will be able to produce
high acutance, low resolution prints. If the resolution is low, then the
edge sharpness will not be satisfactory to the eye, and I think that's
what Ctein was saying.

gregory