Re: Off-Topic, New Orleans Images

From: Dan Burkholder ^lt;fdanb@aol.com>
Date: 04/22/06-05:43:12 AM Z

I'm experimenting with HDR (High Dynamic Range) shooting. I'm testing
the waters so sometimes the results feel too "pushed." On the other
hand, I'm gleaning a really good idea of how to use the tool for
creative purposes. And some of what you see is the mold that has grown
on just about every surface.

Here are some more, with no mold. The interiors are not from New
Orleans, thought the parade float figures (two at end of group) are:

www.danburkholder.com/misc_HDR

It's always exciting to use new tools to do things that used to be next
to impossible. HDR lets us capture scenes with a brightness range that
far exceeds anything film could capture, no matter how much contraction
processing you try. For this group, there might be 8-14 exposures
combined for each shot. The "Bathroom Clutter" images runs from 8
minutes to 1/15 second. Since the chip itself can hold something like an
11-stop range, you get an idea of how contrasty these scenes were in the
first place.

Of course, the ultra wide (12mm) lens on a full-frame chip helps add to
the intimacy too. That's why I had to leave Nikon (after 32 years),
their half-frame digital cameras rob us of ultra-wides. (Note: I'm
hanging onto my favorite Nikon glass in hopes they introduce a full-frame
camera this fall at Photokina.)

Thanks for looking!

Dan

--