Re: cyanotype and silver image (was Re: Cyanotype toning and lead acetate.)

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 04/23/06-01:35:43 PM Z

Loris and Don,
Sam is too humble to ever self promote :) but I know he has perfected the
process as he did with the tricolor gum over cyanotype. But Don brings up a
good point inadvertently, below and with his post about Suzanne Izzo: the
fact is, all these processes can be done in many different ways, no one way
better than another in a sense. For instance, even though all my students
voted to throw out the cyano/vdb combos, I happened to find several of them
my favorite prints from the semester!

Why they did not like the process is that it required more time to complete
and dink around with than the week allowed to hand in the assignment, and
because I had assigned it too early in the course, they did not feel
confident enough nor have enough knowledge base to really experiment. So my
caveat about a combo of these two processes is that you have to be willing
to spend some time at it to get it right given your way of working.

I don't think the cyanotype/pt/pd process is fraught with as many perils,
being that the potassium ferricyanide in the cyanotype does not affect the
pt/pd as it does drastically the VDB. I mean, you brush on the cyanotype
and you can instantly see the VDB vamoose. This week i assigned another
combotype--salt or pt/pd with any other process that they had learned
(e.g.gum, cyanotype) and one student did the pt/cyano and it's perfect, so I
just think it is so much easier to do, but there are also certain tweaks to
that process that I don't know about that I think Sam figured out.
Chris