RE: Potassium Oxalate developer for Platinum printing

From: Eric Neilsen ^lt;e.neilsen@worldnet.att.net>
Date: 04/24/06-07:34:59 PM Z

Cor, Your developer will hold onto a portion of your coated area that was
exposed and not part of the print. This coated and very slightly excited
area will become part of that 500ml; which seems really skimpy to me by the
way. There are also buffers in the papers that can adversely effect your
developer. While you may only need 500ml to cover your paper, I'd advise you
to use a larger amount as a stock solution. If the cost of Potassium Oxalate
powder is high in your area, I would make it from Potassium Carbonate and
Oxalic acid. Pour out the amount need to develop your print, and after pour
it back.

You can also use Oxalic acid to keep your developer on the acid side of
life. You may also find that exposing your developer to UV light and
letting it sit, will allow you to remove the excess metals from your
developer. The greenish quality is not a problem. Single shot eliminates the
chance of fog due to removed components from previous prints, but I don't
find it necessary.

You can use a lower concentration of Pot ox but you run the risk of graining
up your prints. You will also need slightly more exposure.

I have only tried brush development a few times, but I would look into a
good even pour ,just like for coating the sensitizer, and a quick even
dispersal of the coating, perhaps even by using a rod.

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9