Back ON TOPIC with New Orleans.

From: John Grocott ^lt;john.grocott403@ntlworld.com>
Date: 04/25/06-05:57:51 AM Z

I all seriousness, though........
Why we use a particular Alt Photo process with a certain subject is not often discussed on this List.

Not all subjects of art depict scenes of sweetness and lightness, and certainly, reportage photography does not always show us scenes of happiness and tranquility.

But, why do we want to modify the straight lens image by our use of alternative processes of which digital manipulation has been generally accepted as part of our available tool kit?

I think that Dan has produced images using an ultra wide lens with High Dynamic Range techniques which are, to use a phrase I have just invented, ''hyper real'' (ahem...!) so to make us more accutely conscious of the physical situation which faced the photographer.

I do not know if an ''art'' label should be attatched to these images but they surely fit the category of alternative photography. However, like a lot of stuff I have seen in art galleries, I still feel sick to my stomach if I view them for too long. Not necessarily a feeling I reject. ( What a weirdo ! ! ?)

Dead dogs by the dustbin (trash can). Gum, cyanotype or carbon transfer, do you think?

''On with the motley.''

Felicitations from

John Grocott- Photographist - London

SKYPE(video) name CARBONS999