for the record

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/27/06-02:30:56 PM Z

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006, Gordon J. Holtslander wrote:

> Judy did use profanity - I failed to notice that - I honestly do not have
> the time to read every message. The profanity was not used to insult a
> list member. I don't consider that a major crime. Its an inconvenience
> for me.

Gord, I apologize if I've broken a taboo... and I promise to try never to
do that again. However, a couple of points:

That word is not only seen everywhere on the streets of NYC (which is
expected to become a state any day, or withdraw from the union -- I forget
which), and I've photographed very substantial citizens wearing it, it's
also used freely in many respected, even *intellectual* publications with
international circulation (not to mention close copies in major movie
titles, as the T-shirt punned on..., sort of copying a copy of the
original.)

Artforum and The New Yorker come to mind immediately, I doubt an issue has
lacked a couple of examples of that word in the last 5 years. And though
they say Canadians are much politer than their southern neighbors (and
much appreciated), among friends it's just a bit stronger than "damn" (and
not the REAL obscenity in modern life, entirely apart from spelling, tho I
realize that also is a topic for another forum).

Meanwhile, as a language junky, I'm wondering if "profanity" is the
correct term. I think (yes, I'll check) "profanity" is related to
blasphemy, as in "sacred" versus "profane." Which is to say, I'd have
called it a *vulgarity* -- which of course doesn't excuse it. And in the
way that marijuana is considered a gateway drug for hard core, it could be
a gateway to worse vulgarity. Still, IMO distinctions matter nearly as
much in usage as in alternative photography.

As for my fat posterior... for the record, I weigh 120 pounds, wear a
perfect size 10 (when I'm feeling perfect), and .... the usual adjective
around here is "adorable." (I don't say "sexy" for fear of causing some
folks to faint, though the next seminar might discuss why "fat ass" is
the ultimate insult. Possibly related to race ?? But ooops, not going
there, either.)

Best,

Judy