RE: Gum without curves!

From: Don Bryant ^lt;dstevenbryant@mindspring.com>
Date: 04/30/06-11:47:25 AM Z

Terry,

1. Make it look right on the screen.

2. IFlip it horizontally

3, Invert it

4. Print it on a thin paper.

5. Make your gum print (emulsion to emulsion).

You did not need special adjustment curves foir a film negative,

I think that adjustments curves for film are built in so to speak, at
anyrate non-adjustable once the negative was made and developed.

You do not need them for a digital negative. It is just that everone has
become so obsessed with curves that they do not stop to think for themselves
whether they need them or not.

Oh!

You vary the exposures and the pigments to achieve what you want. But then I
prefer to have most of my exposures at the minute or couple of minute.mark
rather than standardise on three and a half hours.

Three and a half hours, do you mean three and a half minutes? If you can
achieve 2 minute exposures that harden the gum properly your UV light source
must be extremely bright compared to mine or your negatives are extremely
thin.

At the risk of being called pompous, there is a full  explanation on my web
site. I will be bring the word to Pittsburgh next spring. I am planning my
workshops for the next few months at the moment.

I've just looked at your web site and I see nothing there that explains how
to make or print digital negatives for gum, not even close.

Don Bryant