Re: Gum without curves!

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 04/30/06-11:23:57 AM Z

In a message dated 30/4/06 5:40:13 pm, dstevenbryant@mindspring.com writes:

> Okay Terry, I'll bite. Please tell us how you do it. That is, how do you
> make digital negatives without an adjustment curve?

1. Make it look right on the screen.

2. IFlip it horizontally

3, Invert it

4. Print it on a thin paper.

5. Make your gum print (emulsion to emulsion).

You did not need special adjustment curves foir a film negative, You do not
need them for a digital negative. It is just that everone has become so
obsessed with curves that they do not stop to think for themselves whether they need
them or not.

You vary the exposures and the pigments to achieve what you want. But then I
prefer to have most of my exposures at the minute or couple of minute.mark
rather than standardise on three and a half hours.

At the risk of being called pompous, there is a full explanation on my web
site. I will be bring the word to Pittsburgh next spring. I am planning my
workshops for the next few months at the moment.

Terry