Re:TTACHMENTS TO LIST & Off-Topic, New Orleans Images & ATTACHMENTS TO LIST!

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 04/30/06-02:50:03 PM Z

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006, Tom Ferguson wrote:

> Phillip, this is a very disturbing statement. I strongly object to being
> called a Nazi (reich-wing supporters) by association! I believe you owe me
> and this entire list an apology.

Tom, I vowed I wouldn't respond to anything today, but I need to clear
my inbox which is nearing its limit.... and... clearly, I lack will power.

Firstly... WILL FOLKS WHO INSIST ON SENDING LARGE ATTACHMENTS TO THE LIST
PLEASE STOP! It's illegal, you're breaking the rules-- and ruining
my service. I have the urge to mail you a brick, collect !!!

Second,

Tom, I think the reason there was no reply to Philip's message -- and I
gather you address this paragraph:

> I have no doubt that there are more than a few alt-photographers
effected
> in New Orleans; and I'm of the opinion that the disaster from Katrina
and
> the
> root of it's cause has everything to do with the present Administration
of
> the
> US government and it's like-minded reich-wing supporters over the
previous
> administrations. Don't kid yourself....

is that, aside from being sort of incoherent, unless you're better at
reading minds than I am (dammit -- you probably are) is that it's also
kind of illiterate, with errors of diction and spelling. Somehow, even in
spam, diction counts (except for those writing in their 2nd, 3rd or 4th
language, who awe us to pieces).

On the bright side, this gives me opportunity to recommend an EXTREMELY
insightful article in today's NY Times magazine, titled "Freud and the
Fundamentalist Urge." Whoever tries to understand the craziness latent in
much of the world (and not just in the Reich, 1st, 2nd or 3rd), would
surely find much meaning here. (Who said, better to light something or
other than just curse the darkness?)

I'm not sure Phillip was being as bad as this sounds. I know I have MANY
T-shirts from the protest marches (oh --that again... yepp, our t-shirts,
ourselves!) showing Bush with swastika, Amerika with swastika, "Vote
Republican" with swastika... and so on. It's not meant literally, at
least not yet. It's like saying "you're killing me." It's hyperbole. (And
a perfectly good Native American symbol is kidnapped. They should have
copyrighted it.)

BUT, that *worst case* does happen. (As one of my t-shirts shows with a
diagram of "Elements of Fascism," all of which already appear.) We do need
to fear it. The article I mention above does (really!) shed light on
how/why that happens.

Judy