Re: HDR Photography: gimmick or reality?

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 16:49:47 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Lybrook" <jon@terabear.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, August 04, 2006 2:51 PM
Subject: Re: HDR Photography: gimmick or reality?

> Jonathan Danforth wrote:
>
> >In my opinion, well done HDR images show what we
> > really see as opposed to what the camera sees.
>

> Reminds me of Stan Brakhage's approach to filmmaking. He
> said the jittery images he made on film were meant to be
> more like what the human eye was really doing (and seeing)
> than the conventions we were used to via camera techniques
> standardized on by the motion picture industry. e.g., the
> eye never pans a room like in the movies. It jumps, from
> point to point....
>
> Jon

   This is what David Hockney is suggesting in some of his
paintings. As far as its use in film, I find it very
annoying except for quite short POV shots. I think its not
throught through completely, for instance, my eyes scan the
movie screen, the presense of an artificial scanning becomes
very fatiguing. I think there is such a thing as too much
realism in a movie. I rather like Hockney's work. There I
can chose, at least to some extent, what to scan. Hockney
has supplied the images he finds interesting but does not
force me to look in any particular order. This is too far
off topic so I won't continue.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA