Re: Since the list is so quiet....

From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 22:21:10 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@usask.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 9:38 PM
Subject: Re: Since the list is so quiet....

> Since the list is so quiet, I figured I might be able to
> appeal to the leashed brain power & expertise for advice
> on a problem that arrives suddenly after more than 10
> years of dial up... So I'm hopelessly backward, but that's
> well known -- who else would take up gum printing in old
> age?
>
> My problem is -- I'm still doing e-mail by dial up --which
> actually has many advantages,
         &etc, in which we have a rare mention of Judy's
actual husband.
    The next time you have trouble try disconnecting the
phone and try again. the phone may be loading the line and
lowering the level to where the modem thinks there is no
dial tone. I had one "modern" phone which lowered my
connection speed to some low value (don't remember)
replacing that phone fixed the problem. Now, I do have an
old 500 series desk set which still works fine so it is not
necessarily the age of the phone.
    Also, does your computer put the modem on a speaker
while it is dialing and negotiating? That would tell you
right away if a dial tone is there. Most modems have a
setting for this. One can set to listen to nothing, to the
dial up, to everything. I suspect this is some
mis-configuration in the modem.
    Since it is a dial tone problem it is NOT your ISP, it
_may_ be the telephone company.
    When I was a kid, and spent summers in rural Michigan,
we were on an old style (even for then) party line system
with crank phones. The guy used to come about twice a year
to replace the batteries in the wall box. I don't remember
the number and ring code any more but it was an Onsted
number and had an operator on the other end (when it was
working).

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA