Re: palladium bleeding, loooonnnnnggg results

From: Camden Hardy <camden_at_hardyphotography.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:29:56 -0600 (MDT)

I'll chime in with my experiences in the last few weeks (for those of you
that don't know, Chris and I live in the same town). I'm not sure
humidity has a whole lot to do with this issue, because I've been printing
on Platine without humidifying my paper all summer.

This may be something, or it could just be ridiculous (it may be downright
wrong), but I've modified my printing workflow on Platine over the last
few months and have not experienced any bleeding since then. Of course, I
only saw minimal bleeding to begin with, but my coating method may work
for you, Chris.

After coating, I only allow the paper to become dry to the touch, so the
sensitized area of the paper is still quite damp. As soon as the surface
of the paper is dry enough, I stick the paper in a hot press for about
15-25 seconds to get rid of wrinkles; this ensures a nice, solid contact
with the negative during exposure. The hot press is optional; I just hate
to see those big blurry spots on my prints, so I take the extra
precaution.

I've found that this method has two big advantages. First off, no
bleeding. The second one is sharpness. I've found that when I expose my
images while the paper's still damp, the image compresses when it dries,
and turns out to be quite a bit sharper than a straight digital print. Of
course, the image isn't as big as the original...

Anyway, this may be worth trying. Then again, it may just be a bad batch
of paper/chemistry/etc.

Camden Hardy

camden@hardyphotography.net
http://www.hardyphotography.net