RE: palladium bleeding, loooonnnnnggg results

From: Eric Neilsen <e.neilsen_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 17:02:53 -0500

Since you are both in the same town, it should be easy enough to check two
important aspects. Where does your ferric come from as well as what batch #
of Platine is being used. The heating may be a big part of it as well. I
have not found the use of a dry mount press required to flatten Platine but
I can see where it would smooth out a rough surface paper. You may need to
help a weak contact printing frame with a flattening of a paper like
Platine. Although, it sounds like you may have more going on that differs
from Chris in the application of the solution as well as volume there of if
you are getting buckling of the paper.

I have not seen bleeding with platine in quite some time. . If your blacks
are good and rich but just not sticking to the paper, I'd look at your
soaking and drying as the problem. If your blacks are weak and you are
getting wash off, you may indeed look to your ferric.

I would also suggest adding some Oxalic Acid to the ferric and see what that
does.

Do you both keep your houses at the same RH and store the paper the same?

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226