Re: trip problems

From: Peter Marshall <petermarshall_at_cix.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 23:09:23 +0100

Yes, given the thousands of items of hold baggage that has been
misplaced in recent days, the best option if travelling by air to the UK
is to send the equipment in advance using a carrier (and strong cases
such as Peli.) Some camera insurances don't cover equipment in hold
baggage, so you may need extra insurance too.

I was pleased that I'd chosen to travel to Europe by train, returned
today with no problems bringing my cameras etc back to London. There
were perhaps a few more people being stopped and having their luggage
checked, but everything went as smoothly as usual. Rail is also faster
for some journeys - such as London-Paris or London-Brussels as check-in
and transfer times are less. I've had no problems with film and the
X-Ray machines used on the rail service. It may be possible to get hand
inspection if you have high speed film (ISO 800 or greater) but
generally you are likely to be refused. But you can order film for
collection in the UK (or other countries you are flying to). It is also
possible to hire equipment of course.

Even with the restrictions currently being eased a little, it seems
worth avoiding trying to fly into the UK with film and equipment if at
all possible.

Regards,

Peter

Peter Marshall
petermarshall@cix.co.uk +44 (0)1784 456474
31 Budebury Rd, STAINES, Middx, TW18 2AZ, UK
My London Diary http://mylondondiary.co.uk/
London's Industrial Heritage: http://petermarshallphotos.co.uk/
The Buildings of London etc: http://londonphotographs.co.uk/
and elsewhere......