Re: Dag Questions Comments

From: Phillip Murphy <pmurf_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 06:50:05 -0500

Hello Bradley,

Halogens have been used in alcohol solution for test plates with success.
To my knowledge, only for single sensitization. You may want to consider
chlorine rather than bromine for accelerating your plates. A small quantity
of chlorine is easy to generate.

Here are a couple of links you might find useful:

http://tinyurl.com/ebddx

http://tinyurl.com/h6z64

Something to keep in mind, the Daguerreotype was perfected in the 1850's;
few modern plates have ever matched what was accomplished at that time.
Try to keep the essential elements of the process as close as possible to
the original practice. The process is simplicity itself. The devil or
god is in
the details.

Having said that, a modern convenience for polishing your plates is to
use a random orbit sander. You can sew pieces of padded buckskin to the
detachable discs and replace them as needed for different polishing
compounds. Have some on hand for rottenstone and others for lampblack
or rouge. You'll want a mask and good ventilation. Finish your plates
with hand buffing using fine cotton velvet and or brain tanned deerskin.

-Phillip