Re: Dag Questions Comments

From: Jonathan Danforth <jonathan_at_danforthsource.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:21:24 -0400

Phillip Murphy wrote:
> few modern plates have ever matched what was accomplished at that time.

Do you have a source on this? All you have to do is look at the work of
Irving Pobboravsky, Jerry Spagnoli, Mike Robinson, John Hurlock, Ken
Nelson, et. al. to see that the quality is superior or equivalent to the
19th century.

> Having said that, a modern convenience for polishing your plates is to
> use a random orbit sander. You can sew pieces of padded buckskin to the
> detachable discs and replace them as needed for different polishing
> compounds. Have some on hand for rottenstone and others for lampblack
> or rouge. You'll want a mask and good ventilation. Finish your plates
> with hand buffing using fine cotton velvet and or brain tanned deerskin.

Have you tried this? I've always been told that you should have fine
polish lines (if any at all) along one axis only so that the light falls
evenly on the finished plate.

--
http://photographs.danforthsource.com