Re: Sorry to ask again but...

From: Michael Healy <emjayhealy_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:52:20 -0700

Sandy, when Judy posted this, I had exactly the same question; but your comment
makes perfect sense. I'm using the E2450, with its maddening film holders, and yes, I
get fine DofF, if I use a holder or just lay the film on the glass.

And to demonstrate this, I can relate a story. About month ago, because my father has
just died, I moved his entire collection of 20,000 negs and slides back to Phoenix with
me for cataloguing, scanning, rephotographing, and so forth. Along with them, I dragged
a boxload of old prints that I need either to scan or rephotograph with 4x5 or 8x10. One
of these turned out not to be a print at all, but a tintype of my grandfather, shot sometime
between about 1880 and 1885. I scanned it so I could email it to a brother, and it turned
out GREAT. This is no ordinary tintype. What somebody did to the poor thing over the
years, I don't know, but it's buckled, and bent to hell. It even has two sharp punctures
into it, that raised the tin surface more than 1/8th of an inch. Flat it is not. But the scan
showed the entire thing in perfect focus. Clearly, then, the DofF on these scanners is
deeper than a piece of film.

Makes it tempting to try a few of those body-part scans people used to make by climbing
onto the xerox machine back in the '70s. Or has Ender.dot.com been there already and
back again?

Mike