Re: Sorry to ask again but...

From: Sandy King <sanking_at_clemson.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:22:54 -0400

Judy,

There are many different kinds of flatbed scanners and I don't know
where the place of best focus in on all of them. However, all of the
ones I have used appear to have the point of best focus not on the
surface of the glass of the scanner but at somewhere around .5mm to
1mm from the top. That is suggested by various film holders
themselves. Therefore, placing a thin piece of glass on the top of
the scanner, with the emulsion of the film placed in contact with
that glass, appears to place the negative at a point where the focus
is at least as correct as with the negative holder. Another issue is
that lenses used in scanners appear to have really great depth of
field and small differences in placement don't appear to make much
difference. In any event, with the Epson 4870 I definitely see a
small improvement in a scan made fluid mounted on glass as opposed to
either placement over the glass in a holder or placement emulsion
side down dry over the scanner glass.

As for the dry mounting fluid, some of the stuff being used today is
solvent and simply evaporates from the film so that little or no
clean-up is necessary. Kami mounting fluid, for example, leaves
little or no residue. However, if the mounting fluid drys out during
the scan you have pretty much lost the advantage of dry mounting so
for scanning large format negatives at high resolution I use prefer
Johnson's baby oil since it is more viscous and does not dry out as
fast. After scanning I simply place the negative in a tray of warm
water with a little liquid dishwater liquid and let it soak for a few
minutes, then rinse it briefly and hang to dry.

I will look for that story about Clemson in the Times. Last time I
remember Clemsion making much of a splash in the Times was when it
was ranked the #1 or #1 party school in the USA. I see that Clemson
did not make the top 30 in that category this year, though they
finally got into the top 30 of public universities. I hope that
neither of those rankings has anything to do with fact that both Sam
and I retired this year!

Sandy