Re: Coating prints with polyurethane wood finish

From: Dan Burkholder ^lt;fdanb@aol.com>
Date: 02/02/06-01:07:10 PM Z

On Monday Jill and I were in Austin, TX where we were floored by the
incredible prints of Jack Spencer.

Though Jack Spencer is using the varnish on digital pigmented ink
prints, it seems like it would work for alt processes too. Jack's using
Breathing Color's varnish (www.breathingcolor.com) with an automotive
spray guy. He says you can brush it too but some of his prints are quite
large (44" x 70") so the spray method is better for him.

He cuts the stock varnish with water (3 parts varnish to 1 part water)
and also mixes a bit of Matte with Gloss to make a semi-matte.

The direct link to the Breathing Color Verneer is as follows:

http://www.breathingcolor.com/bc/catalog/index.php?cPath=601

Thanks to Jack Spencer for being so generous with this information! And
to see some reproductions of his photography, go to the following:

http://www.artnet.com/Galleries/Artists_detail.asp?G=&gid=239&which=&aid=15922&ViewArtistBy=online&rta=http://www.artnet.com

Hope this helps!

Dan

--