Re: combo prints

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 02/03/06-06:44:26 PM Z

Keith,

This is what is so fun: now how on earth did you come up with this idea?
For instance, I have a blurb on pt over pigment in the book and i wonder how
Dan B. you ever came up with that idea first? Who woulda thought? Or Keith,
one day you just say, hey, I want to paint a layer of cyano on metal, and
then hey, let's try gesso on top or what??

This week I was making a lecture on alt from 1826 to 1900, scanning lotso
historical
stuff, and I came across a description of albumenized salt, which was a
layer of albumen coated on top of a salt print. so then today I decided to
do a layer of albumen on cyano and then a layer of albumen dichromated on a
gum print and on a cyano to see the kind of gloss it produces. Albumen
produces a very finely grained gloss, kindof satin. If you can get by the
smell of egg whites (kindof what I would term "foetid") it has possibilities
as a gloss for general use. My intent is to see if dmax is greater with its
use. So far the one cyano is lavender so the egg whites must have some sort
of alkalinity to them. It looks cool tho. And the dichromated one has a
hint of warmth to it from the dichromated layer (overexposed).

I also tried for the first time spraying a print with pot metabi to see if
it'd look spotty and fun, where it clears some of the stain (also on a layer
of really overexposed albumen hardened with dichromate out in the sun for
several minutes)...the smell was a bit gaggy so I'll go back to no
clearing...

I again stuck a dichromated, cleared print out in the sun to see if it
darkened. It didn't.

Oh man am I ever trying to avoid work today or WHAT. And I'm rambling, but
you just got my creative juices going...
Chris