Re: gum bichromate - classical pigments set.

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 02/08/06-08:26:22 PM Z

Paul,

You asked for it you got it.

A cut and paste from a bunch of notes, all 1894-pre 1935.

I don't have time to do any editing or such but this will for sure answer
the question. Don't mind my "he's" and stuff; i deleted the sources and
pages.

chris

175 grains black with 100 burnt sienna mixed, kept as a bulk mixture.

12 grains powdered lamp black and 4 grains Prussian blue(cold black) to ½ oz
gum; 12 grains lampblack and 6 grains of Indian red for a red brown. 40
grains Venetian red for a red, 15 grains of burnt umber and Indian red for a
red-brown. Just lamp black: 15 gr to ½ oz. Other colors require 30 grains
or more.

Black is used in smaller proportion than other colors. Sepia and van dyke
require larger proportion than usual to get depth.

Colors Warren lists are black, venetian and Indian red, umbers, sepia,
Vandyke brown, brown and red ochre, indigo, and sienna.

Mix ½ oz gum and ½ oz water and 20grains burnt umber or 14 grains black, for
previously sensitized paper.

tube colors, use 1 ¾ inch black or 2 in burnt umber or other dark color or 2
½ inches of light red and its kind. Mix this with 1 ½ oz of gum and equal
water.

Venetian red, red chalk, indigo, brown and red ochre, lampblack, umber,
burnt umber, sienna burnt sienna, Van Dyck brown, bistre, sepia. Temper red
ochre if you want with a bit of blue. "On the whole, lampblack, the ochres
and umbers and indigo will form, separately or combined, a palette with
which, as a rule, we may be very well satisfied."

certain color mixtures are unworkable, either causing the coating mixture to
become totally insoluble, or the solubility is not affect on exposure.

To get sepia in watercolor it is a weak pigment so use burnt umber and
venetian red. Or Prussian blue mixed with Venetian Red.

He recommended chrome yellow, also used Prussian blue

He finds Burnt Umber Sienna will do all that he needs to warm up an image
instead of ven red and ind red.