RE: First gallery ' experience'

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 02/09/06-02:22:55 PM Z

Kate,

Another current term for 'Alt processes' is Lyle Rexer's "Antiquarian
Avant-garde." As for "wisdom" of this dealer, I have a delicious little
paperback titled "The Experts Speak: Encyclopedia of Official
Misinformation" (title from memory, not exact). Thus we find find (circa
1932) "radio is definitely over," and circa 1929 words to the effect, "the
market is finally on the rebound." Pronouncements about "art" and
"photography" are too many to cite here, but I love in particular PH
Emerson on the "taste" of a "frugiverous ape" referring to (wasn't it?)
Impressionism.

What we should in fact live by (IMO) is Harold Rosenberg's observation
that "by the time there's a bandwagon it's too late to jump on it."

cheers,

Judy