Re: patents

From: Ryuji Suzuki ^lt;rs@silvergrain.org>
Date: 02/15/06-01:42:58 AM Z

You think it's known, in 2006, but whether it was known to average
person who is reasonably skilled in the art at the time the inventor
filed the application is a totally different issue.

Even if you think anyone with reasonable experience might be able to
come up with the same method, it often makes sense to apply for patents
(or file a provisional patent application in the us) just so that you
can decide whether to pursue the patent process one or two years later
(depending on which country), and also to prevent your competitors from
getting patent for something you already thought about. The latter is
called "defensive right" and there are many ways to establish it. (In
contrast, offensive right is the stuff you see in the claims of the
patents.)