Fwd: Cyanotype & Ferric Oxalate

From: TERRYAKING@aol.com
Date: 02/15/06-02:27:09 PM Z

In a message dated 15/02/2006 20:24:34 GMT Standard Time, TERRYAKING writes:

mail@loris.medici.name writes:

If you mean you can get both a constant dmax and paper white with
negatives of different density ranges then that's very good - only for
in-camera negative users though...

Loris

As to cyanotype rex, no,. that does not follow at all. The rex process is
good for digital negs, inter negs and in camera negs.

 Incidentally, for back projection material for making digital negs, try
Kentmere Translucent II it is far cheaper and produces good negatives on my
Epson.

As to standard cyanotype, get the negative right and you will get the print
right with no double coating.

Surely the point of making one's own ferric oxalate is to overcome the
difficulty of obtaining oxalates. I have been making my own ferric oxalate for
many years now, in fact, I make it on workshops to demonstrate that chemistry is
nothing to be worried about. I start with ferrous ammonium sulphate and use
30% peroxide. I make up a litre in an afternoon which works straight from the
bottle in the same way as a 20% solution made up from bought in ferric
oxalate in powder form.

Terry

Terry King FRPS

RPS Historical Group (Chairman)

_www.hands-on-pictures.com/_ (http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/)

Moderated Discussion Group

Post message: artaltphot@yahoogroups.co.uk

Subscribe: artaltphot-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk
Subscribe _PhotoHistory-subscribe@yahoogroups.com_
(mailto:PhotoHistory-subscribe@yahoogroups.com)

1. An excellent thing is as rare as it is difficult.(Spinoza)
2. A man's reach should be beyond his grasp or what's a heaven
for.(Browning)
3. Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora.(Occam's razor or
'Keep it simple!').
4. Nullius in Verba (Horace), 'Take no man's word for it' (motto of the
Royal Society).
5. If ignorance is bliss, why are not more people happy ? (anon)

[...]

What amazes me here is how some people take something that is very very
simple, the standard cyanotype, and then overcomplicate it while producing no
discernible difference.

[...]

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=US-ASCII">
<META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2802" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY id=role_body
style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; COLOR: #000000; FONT-FAMILY: Garamond" bottomMargin=7
leftMargin=7 topMargin=7 rightMargin=7><FONT id=role_document face=Garamond
color=#000000 size=4>
<DIV>
<DIV>In a message dated 15/02/2006 15:28:52 GMT Standard Time,
mail@loris.medici.name writes:</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px; MARGIN-LEFT: 10px"><FONT
  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>If you
  mean you can get both a constant dmax and paper white with<BR>negatives of
  different density ranges then that's very good - only for<BR>in-camera
  negative users though...</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>Loris</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>As to cyanotype rex, n</FONT><FONT
size=4>o,.&nbsp;t</FONT><FONT size=4>hat does not follow at
all.&nbsp;The&nbsp;rex process is good for&nbsp;digital negs,&nbsp;inter negs
and in camera negs.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>&nbsp;Incidentally,&nbsp; for back projection material for
making digital negs, try Kentmere Translucent II it is far cheaper and produces
good negatives on my Epson.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>As to standard cyanotype, get the negative right and you will
get the print right with no double coating.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>Surely the point of making one's own ferric oxalate is to
overcome the difficulty of obtaining oxalates. I have been making my own ferric
oxalate for many years now, in fact, I make it on workshops to demonstrate that
chemistry is nothing to be worried about. I start with ferrous ammonium sulphate
and use 30% peroxide. I make up a litre&nbsp;in an afternoon which works
straight from the bottle in the same way as a 20% solution made up from bought
in ferric oxalate in powder form. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>Terry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>Terry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>What amazes me here is how some people take something that is
very very simple, the standard cyanotype, &nbsp;and then overcomplicate it while
producing no discernible difference.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=4>Terry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT lang=0 face=Arial size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PTSIZE="10">Terry King
FRPS<BR><BR>RPS Historical Group (Chairman)<BR><BR><A
href="http://www.hands-on-pictures.com/">www.hands-on-pictures.com/</A>
<BR><BR>Moderated Discussion Group<BR><BR>Post message:&nbsp; &nbsp;
artaltphot@yahoogroups.co.uk<BR><BR>Subscribe: &nbsp; &nbsp;
artaltphot-subscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk<BR>Subscribe </FONT><FONT lang=0
face=Garamond color=#0000ff size=4 FAMILY="SERIF" PTSIZE="14"><A
href="mailto:PhotoHistory-subscribe@yahoogroups.com">PhotoHistory-subscribe@yahoogroups.com</A></FONT><FONT
lang=0 face=Arial color=#000000 size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
PTSIZE="10"><BR>Unsubscribe: &nbsp; &nbsp;
artaltphot-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.co.uk</FONT><FONT lang=0 face=Arial
color=#000000 size=4 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PTSIZE="14"><BR></FONT><FONT lang=0
face=Arial color=#000000 size=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PTSIZE="12"><BR></FONT><FONT
lang=0 face=Arial color=#000000 size=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" PTSIZE="10">1. An
excellent thing is as rare as it is difficult.(Spinoza) <BR>2. A man's reach
should be beyond his grasp or what's a heaven for.(Browning) <BR>3. Frustra fit
per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora.(Occam's razor or 'Keep it simple!').
<BR>4. Nullius in Verba (Horace), 'Take no man's word for it' (motto of the
Royal Society).<BR>5. If ignorance is bliss, why are not more people happy ?
(anon)</FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_nOYvKQ8kOiCQM8ocaP9iJQ)--