RE: cyanotype

From: Loris Medici ^lt;mail@loris.medici.name>
Date: 02/15/06-10:48:45 AM Z

Hi Christina,

I absolutely don't know what's the water solubility figure of FAC. All I
know is that Traditional Cyanotype doesn't soak as easily as New
Cyanotype or Ziatype emulsion. You can tell that by observing the paper
after coating; the shine on the paper dissappear in a relatively longer
time. The crystallization I'm talking leaves tiny white spots (not
fibers) on the paper, in some cases I found bits of emulsion that were
stuck to the negative. IME, too much emulsion is a real problem with
Cyanotype. Thinking that way, I habituated my self using as little as
possible emulsion when doing traditional cyanotypes - so little that my
students had hard time - in their first trials - to coat a given area
with a given amount of emulsion (I wasn't having problems in the same
conditions). Some never managed to coat properly - without leaving
uncoated parts in the image area - with that specific ml to inch2 ratio,
so I had to increase the ratio to suit their coating style / speed.

Regards,
Loris.