Re: Sizing paper with gum and dichromate

From: Judy Seigel ^lt;jseigel@panix.com>
Date: 01/02/06-03:03:10 PM Z

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Christina Z. Anderson quoted Kerik Kouklis:

> No gelatin to throw away and very even and effective sizing. All in one easy
> step. I almost NEVER have staining issues and get very smooth creamy tones
> in my gum layers. I use this approach with Fabriano Artistico Extra White,
> Rives BFK and Whatman Printmaking.

It occurs to me that my different experience with brush sizing may be at
least in part related to my different way(s) of printing -- my developing
soak can be 24 hours... longer soaks (I figure) probably affect the paper
more. I also find that brush sizing on just one side increases the
tendency to curl -- possibly making re-register more problematic -- tho it
also occurs to me that batch sizing, assuming you do a BATCH, may take no
longer *per sheet* than brush sizing where you've got to work your way by
hand over each entire surface !!

As for the cost of the gelatin per se, that's hardly an item, given the
cost of paper, chemicals & paint -- but when I've gone to the trouble of
mixing the stuff, there is of course the larger "investment" of my labor.

There is probably also the fact that *habit* is a factor, tho then again
we might not have formed the habit if we weren't comfortable with it.

I, BTW, do as Kate does and dispose of gelatin as solid waste, tho I seem
to recall one time I dumped it into the tub before taking a shower...
Either way, I wish, I just WISH, all plumbing stoppages in this house were
as easily cured as with a teakettle of boiling water !

(Last month the plumber rooted seriously for two hours before pulling out
a small towel from a tub drain, at the same time making a hole in the pipe
that required ripping out a wall to repair-- not my apartment, but still,
gelatin would be better.)

cheers,

Judy