Re: Sizing paper with gum and dichromate

From: Christina Z. Anderson ^lt;zphoto@montana.net>
Date: 01/01/06-02:47:21 PM Z

Hi Loris,
You don't have to rinse paper with formalin or glut after sizing in a
separate bath or if you put the hardener in the gelatin before brush
coating. The only one you would have to rinse is glyoxal because of the
yellowing issues. But I just see no reason to not mix it in the gelatin
itself and brush on.

I got this message from Kerik offlist because he kept trying to send it to
the list and kept getting it bounced back: I'd trust his advice more than
mine, but, of course, we agree :)
chris

Judy wrote:

> That's one I never tested, and I so
> dislike the idea of
> hardener in the gelatin I'm not sure I could be my usual objective
> self, but it does waste gelatin since only good for a day.

Surprisingly, I beg to differ!!

I can size 10 or so sheets of paper for 14x17 prints with about 100 ml of
gelatin.

It's soooo easy, I can't imagine doing the gelatin two-step - Bah! Everyone
should at least try it this way:

- Heat gelatin (I usually use 3% solution of 250 bloom to about 120 degrees
F)
- Measure out 10 ml (assuming 14x17 inch print)
- add appropriate number of drops of your favorite hardener
- (optionally you can just add the appropriate amount of hardener to your
entire gelatin solution, then measure it out)
- Coat paper with glass rod or brush
- Hang to dry or place on screens
- AND YOU'RE DONE!!

No gelatin to throw away and very even and effective sizing. All in one easy
step. I almost NEVER have staining issues and get very smooth creamy tones
in my gum layers. I use this approach with Fabriano Artistico Extra White,
Rives BFK and Whatman Printmaking.

Kerik Kouklis
www.kerik.com